Looking to the Future: Goals for the 2016 Strategic Plan
To raise global awareness by increasing respect and appreciation for personal and cultural differences.
The goals for the Global Citizenship initiative vary between school divisions:
The Middle School has the goal of understanding that the world is a united environment and that Houston Academy students have a responsibility to educate themselves on the global community.
The Upper School has the goal of engagement and global experiences in order to foster a spirit of creativity and empathy.
To improve the students’ emotional safety through opportunities for self-‐expression and participation in activities directed toward building confidence and leadership.
To create a distinct Middle School division to meet effectively the needs of students in grades 5‐8.
- Foster a real Middle School mindset
- Help the Middle School student learn how to learn
- Adopt and implement consistently the Middle School Mission Statement and Core Values
- Develop language for guiding daily choices
- Establish a dedicated faculty for the Middle School
- Organize the Middle School faculty to increase collaboration among teachers
- Develop a policy for Middle School honors and on‐grade level classes to make a clear distinction in content and pacing
- Establish explicit guidelines to assign students
- Increase flexibility and ease in shifting between levels
- Improve communication with Middle School parents
- Eliminate curriculum gaps in the Middle School
- Encourage Middle School curricular creativity and fun
- Implement a Middle School Advisory program
- Develop student mentorship programs
- Develop leadership opportunities for Middle School students
- Offer more grade‐wide projects and activities, as well as more inter‐grade clubs and sports teams, for Middle School students
To build an endowment to help ensure the long-‐term financial stability of Houston Academy.
To plan for and fund a performing arts center.
Our vision of a Fine Arts facility for Houston Academy consists of a new building that would include rooms for band, chorus, art, drama, Lower School music, and even additional classrooms as needed. In addition, we would have an auditorium that would seat 400+ people and that would provide a full‐size stage, wings, and fly space.