Middle School & Upper School Spanish Teacher Position
Houston Academy, Dothan, AL
Houston Academy is a premier independent, college preparatory school located in Dothan, AL. Houston Academy is searching for a Middle and Upper School Spanish teacher for the 2023-24 school year to strengthen an already strong foreign language program.
The goal of the Houston Academy World Language Program is to provide students with a foreign language immersion experience that will allow the student to obtain language fluency.
The ideal applicant will possess the following:
- A degree with a major or minor in Spanish or Spanish Education or significant and/or measurable mastery of the subject area (ACTFL-OPI, ATFL Listening Test, ACTFL WPT Internet, ACTFL Reading Test);
- Advanced Spanish fluency (native or near native speaker).
- Experience teaching and a willingness to teach Spanish in the target language.
- A strong commitment to students and their learning.
- Strong leadership skills.
- The personality traits of enthusiasm, creativity, imagination, and a strong desire/ability to collaborate across content areas.
- An inspiring, innovative, and charismatic teaching style.
- Teach Middle and Upper School Spanish courses.
- Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Select and obtain resource materials and supplies such as textbooks and electronic media.
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Participate in department activities and clubs to enrich the foreign language department.
- Other professional responsibilities including supervision duties and advisories.
Salary will be commensurate with degree level and teaching experience.
Houston Academy is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools, the Southern Association of Independent Schools, and the Alabama Independent School Association.
Houston Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It strives to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, handicap or disability in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. It is the intent and resolve of Houston Academy to comply with the letter and the spirit of the law in the implementation of all facets of equal opportunity. This equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, compensation and training.
If interested in this position, please email your vitae, list of references, and a personal/educational statement to Craig Selig at firstname.lastname@example.org . For more information, please visit our website at www.houstonacademy.com and our Facebook page.