Lower School & Middle School STEAM Position
Houston Academy, Dothan, AL
Houston Academy is a premier, independent college preparatory school located in Dothan, Alabama. Houston Academy is searching for a Lower and Middle School STEAM Teacher beginning in August 2023. A LS and MS STEAM teacher at Houston Academy, first and foremost, loves children. The individual has responsibility for STEAM courses in grades K to 4, and STEAM and technology courses for students in grades 5 and 6.
A Lower School Middle School STEAM Teacher should possess a minimum of a four-year degree and experience designing and implementing STEAM program. He/she should be an outstanding teacher with a recognized record of success in the classroom.
- To plan, prepare and deliver instructional STEAM activities that facilitate active learning experiences;
- To develop schemes of work and lesson plans;
- To provide a variety of learning materials and resources for use in educational activities;
- To identify and select different instructional resources and methods to meet students’ varying needs;
- To instruct and monitor students in the use of learning materials and equipment;
- To use relevant technology to support instruction;
- To observe and evaluate student’s performance and development;
- To assign and grade class work, homework, tests and assignments and to design such assessment in a way that allows students to operate on higher levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy;
- To provide appropriate and timely feedback on student work;
- To encourage and monitor the progress of individual students;
- To maintain accurate and complete records of students’ progress and development;
- To update all necessary records accurately and completely as required by law and by school regulation;
- To prepare required reports on students and activities;
- To manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing and enforcing rules and procedures;
- To maintain discipline in accordance with the rules and disciplinary systems of the school;
- To apply appropriate disciplinary measures where necessary;
- To perform certain pastoral duties including student support, counseling students with academic problems, and providing encouragement;
- To participate in extracurricular activities such as social activities, sporting activities, clubs and student organizations;
- To participate in divisional meetings, school meetings, and parent meetings;
- To communicate necessary information regularly to students, colleagues, and parents regarding student progress and student needs;
- To keep updated with developments in subject area, teaching resources and methods and make relevant changes to instructional plans and activities;
- To perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School; and
- To support the school and its leadership at all times.
Salary will be commensurate with degree level and teaching experience.
Houston Academy is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools, the Southern Association of Independent Schools, and the Alabama Association of Independent Schools.
Houston Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It strives to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, handicap or disability in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. It is the intent and resolve of Houston Academy to comply with the letter and the spirit of the law in the implementation of all facets of equal opportunity. This equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, compensation and training.
If interested in this position, please email your vitae, list of references, and a personal/educational statement to Dr. Vince Janney at email@example.com . For more information, please visit our website at www.houstonacademy.com and our Facebook page.