Middle School Science Teacher
Houston Academy, Dothan, AL
Houston Academy is a premier independent, college preparatory school located in Dothan, AL. Houston Academy is searching for an Middle School science teacher (beginning immediately during the 2019-20 school year). The ideal applicant will possess the following:
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in science or science education or significant, and measurable, mastery of the subject area
- Strong leadership skills
- Experience teaching and/or a willingness to teach middle school science
- A strong commitment to students and their learning, in particular a love of the middle school child
- The personality traits of enthusiasm, creativity, imagination, and a strong desire/ability to collaborate across content areas
- An inspiring, innovative, and charismatic teaching style
- Teach 7th grade life science and 8th grade physical science
- Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction
- Keep abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences
- Select and obtain materials and supplies such as textbooks and electronic media
- Participate in campus and community events
- Serve as a middle school advisor
Salary will be commensurate with degree level and teaching experience.
Houston Academy is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools, the Southern Association of Independent Schools, and the Alabama Independent School Association.
Houston Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It strives to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, handicap or disability in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. It is the intent and resolve of Houston Academy to comply with the letter and the spirit of the law in the implementation of all facets of equal opportunity. This equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, compensation and training.
If interested in this position, please email your vitae, list of references, and a personal/educational statement to Vince Janney at firstname.lastname@example.org . For more information, please visit our website at www.houstonacademy.com and our Facebook page.
The creation of a unique Middle School division comes from the school’s most recent Strategic Plan. During these transitional years, students change significantly – physically, intellectually, morally, psychologically, and socio-emotionally. The academic growth and personal development experienced during these important years significantly impact their futures.