Head Basketball Coach
Houston Academy, Dothan, AL
Houston Academy is a premier independent, college preparatory school located in Dothan, AL. Houston Academy is searching for an experienced and motivated head boys’ basketball coach to build on an already successful basketball program. The boys’ basketball coach functions at the CEO of boys’ basketball. The role of the head varsity basketball coach is to be responsible for coaching, character development, and providing direction to student athletes so that they might achieve a high level of skill as well as an appreciation for discipline, sportsmanship and teamwork in basketball. This position requires thoughtful and respectful interaction with student athletes, fellow coaches, staff, parents, consistent with the mission of the school. The Head Basketball Coach reports to the Athletic Director.
The ideal applicant will possess the following:
- A minimum of a B.A. or B.S.
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong communication skills
- Experience as a head coach
- Experience as a player
- The personality traits of enthusiasm, creativity, imagination, and a strong desire/ability to collaborate
- A high level of organization
- Follow and uphold the mission statement of Houston Academy
- Formulate a successful philosophy to promote the educational welfare and sportsmanship of the basketball student-athlete
- Model good sportsmanship behavior and maintain appropriate conduct towards opposing team, fans, parents, officials, spectators and community
- Plan practice schedules and Instruct and demonstrate skill sets and techniques necessary for individual and team development
- Plan, organize, advertise, and conduct tryouts for the basketball program; maintain the integrity of the selection process
- Ensure that team rules and regulations regarding conduct and eligibility of the athletes are clearly communicated and followed, and work with the Athletic Director to ensure the eligibility of all boys’ basketball players
- Supervise or provide for the proper supervision of all boys’ basketball related activities
- Supervise and manage the boys’ basketball budget; provide for the necessary athletic supplies and equipment
- Evaluate and support the JV and middle school boys’ basketball staff and provide leadership to the basketball coaching staff in order to identify program goals
- In coordination with the Head Girls Basketball Coach and the Athletic Director, schedule all boys’ basketball contests, and post those contests on the school (Tandem) calendar
- Plan and conduct an off-season training programs, including scheduling dates for summer camps/practices and pre-season parent meetings
- Work directly with school Athletic Trainer in reporting injuries and ensuring student safety
- Coordinate the reporting of all boys’ basketball scores to the appropriate media outlets
- Attend relevant professional development opportunities
- Participate in campus and community events
- Perform all other duties requested by the Athletic Director
Salary will be commensurate with degree level and coaching experience.
Houston Academy is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools, the Southern Association of Independent Schools, and the Alabama Association of Independent Schools.
Houston Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It strives to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, handicap or disability in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. It is the intent and resolve of Houston Academy to comply with the letter and the spirit of the law in the implementation of all facets of equal opportunity. This equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, compensation and training.
If interested in this position, please email your vitae, list of references, and a personal/educational statement to Dr. Scott Phillipps at firstname.lastname@example.org . For more information, please visit our website at www.houstonacademy.com and our Facebook page.
We believe through participation in our athletic programs that student athletes will have the opportunity to develop physically, mentally, and emotionally. Houston Academy student athletes learn the value of good sportsmanship, teamwork, dedication, leadership, and discipline. A commitment to excellence in academics and athletics allows HA student athletes to learn that hard work and dedication will lead to personal growth and success..